General Coordination: Esther Rojas, CIEMAT, Spain
Promoting collaboration on Thermal Energy Storage (TES) to improve its reliability, integration on CSP plants and to develop a common language.
Coordinator: J. Vidal, NREL, USA
- Working with Chloride Salts
- 3 Round Robin test performed:
- Specific heat capacity of sensible materials (Solar salt with nanoparticles) 9 participants, including industry; Achieved agreement in accurately measuring cp with DSC, according to normalized methods ASTM E1269 and MDSCTM in the range of temperatures 200 and 400ºC (SolarPACES 2016).
- Reaction enthalpy of thermochemical materials.
Characterization of specific equipment for commercial TES
Coordinator: M. Rodriguez, CIEMAT, Spain
- Identification of critical equipment and related problems (open to new problems that could appear in commercial plants).
- On-going definition of tests.
- Aligned with task 6.4 of the European project SFERA-III
Coordinator: P. Garcia, CEA, France
- Identification of key figures.
- First draft of Definition of common procedures for testing thermal storage prototypes for STE plants (2016).
- Aligned with task 6.3 of the European project SFERA-III
Survey of R&D Activities on Thermal Storage Systems
Coordinator: R. Bayón, CIEMAT, Spain
Survey of R&D activities on TES updated on September 2020.
Report: Survey on R&D Activities
- 30th September: Workshop at Daegu, South Korea, prior to SolarPACES 2019 Conference.